It is now May 2008, and nearly three years since Averil started her project, and we began to record it on our web site. The house is now complete, or nearly so. And here are the last group of photos!
In April 2008 the energy performance of the house was assessed by the Sustainable Energy Academy
. It was compared with a typical house of the same age and size in which no special action had been taken to conserve energy. Such a house, lived in by one person, would produce 6.8 tonnes of CO2
per year. This one now produces 2.8 tonnes, a 59% reduction. In addition account was taken of my lifestyle within the house (keeping it at 18C, efficient appliances etc.) which achieves a further 19% reduction: a combined saving of 78%, i.e. producing only 1.5 tonnes CO2
per year. So I have done what I set out to do, and shown how effective the eco-renovation of ordinary houses can be. Viewers take note; do all you can to your house, encourage others to do likewise, and put pressure on the authorities to provide more incentives to make the process cheaper and easier.
The work I did would have had little effect without all the publicity it received, so I want to thank members of Sage
who have helped to produce this website, and especially Martin Hodson who has put in many hours of work over more than two years, often when he was very busy indeed.
Individual pages are listed below or follow the navigation bar on the left.